Saturday 30 May 2020

Skate x Edge


Lockdown Memoirs, Dear xSkateboarding Youthx

Ive never claimed straight edge , Xd up my hands or wore a t-shirt with a back print adorning a threshold charged pit scene framed by American College varsity lettering.
I have certainly been around it,  have friends who've dedicated a life time to it and own records by heavyweights of the genre.
However i'd say between the age of say 16 - 21 drinking wasn't on my agenda.
Id hadn't had my growth spurt.
I looked too young, couldn't get served and the idea of goin into 'Town' at the weekend to clubs with a gelled fringe, a pastol shirt and a pair of kickers just wasn't appealing.
I didnt smoke and couldn't get any attention off girls who i thought were cool.
For while i did year on, year off but nothing stuck.
All i did was consistantly was Skateboard.
And if i wasn't physically skateboarding i was obsesssing of the culture of it.
I was staring at walls differently.
I was discovering who Minor Threat were, what Vegan meant.
Making tapes composed by songs off videos.
I was travelling on trains all over the  northwest and encountering a full host of nutters and village idiots.
We even made our own scene video reel to reel.
This was meant to be my Prime peer pressure / adolescent / drinking/ pot munchies / first heartbreak years and i experienced none of it.
I just skated.
Thinking back was i XSkate EdgeX? ( Eeerrrugh, yea i did just type that .. hahah)



STEVIE



NYC




DONT MESS WITH TEXAS


Around 21 i moved to moved to Liverpool.
Drinking and skating went hand in hand, i've never looked back.
Keep rollin, dont let a hangover get in the way of a session.



got milk.. (Photo Willy )

No comments:

Post a Comment